Climbing, Teambuilding, STEAM activities + Parents’ Bootcamp! Inspire Girls Academy will be partnering with Brooklyn...
While women are 47% of the entire work industry, they are a minority in many STEM careers.
- Only 4.3 % of aircraft pilots and flight engineers are women
- Women make $0.78 to every $1.00 earned by men in equal positions
- Only 1 out of every 7 engineers in this country is a woman
- Girls self esteem peaks at the age of 9, putting them at risk of being closed off to learning
- Girls are 3X more likely than boys to have a negative body image.
- Girls get less airtime in class. They are called on less and interrupted more…
When it comes to math, girls are more likely to say they feel “helpless while performing a math problem.” However, on the actual PISA (Program for International Student Assessment) math test, girls, on average, only scored 2 percent lower than boys did.
Long Term Impact
“Low self-esteem is actually a thinking disorder in which an individual views herself as inadequate, unworthy, unlovable, and/or incompetent. Once formed, this negative view of self permeates every thought, producing faulty assumptions and ongoing self-defeating behavior.”
- We socialize girls to take turns, listen more carefully, not curse, and resist interrupting in ways we do not expect boys to. Put another way, we generally teach girls subservient habits and boys to exercise dominance.